Teaching Through Text – Year 6
Delivered by Nikki Gamble
In this webinar, we focus on planning to deliver the English curriculum through selected quality texts.
Starting with an overview of the characteristics of a good reader in year 6, we then outline the criteria for text selection.
We will be using Unlocking the Universe one of the new texts for the Autumn Term from our Take One Book resource to illustrate the potential for teaching with this text. You do not need to be using Take One Book to benefit from the principles and practices shared in this session.
After this, we outline a progression through a sequence of work that moves from first encounters with a text to deeper reading.
The sequence orchestrates the range of skills and experiences that readers need to progress their reading at this stage, including comprehension skills, opportunities to develop fluent and sustained reading, language skills and the development of response. The aim is to develop deeper, reflective, analytical and responsive reading rather than practising skills for their own sake.
- English Leads
- Class teachers in year 6
Participants will be able to:
- know how to select quality texts for teaching
- analyse the potential of a text for teaching in year 6
- plan a sequence of work from first encounters through to deeper reading
- use some new strategies for developing children’s reading in year 6
Areas of focus
Planning and teaching through text including the orchestration of:
- Refinement of reading response
- Comprehension skills
- Teaching language in context
- Vocabulary development
- Fluency approaches
What you get
Participants will receive:
- A copy of the focus book used in this session which will be sent in advance
- A full scheme of work for the focus text used in the webinar
- PDF of the Presentation
- A list of texts suitable for teaching English for year 6
- Access to the recording of this webinar.
School (up to 30 teachers)£40.00
Individual£25.00 + VAT
Module 1 1 hour 7 minutes with Nikki Gamble
Unlocking the Universe
This webinar introduces the teaching sequence for Unlocking the Universe, by Stephen and Lucy Hawking. This is a collection of science writing including essays from eminent scientists about a range of scientific theories focussing on space and the future of our universe.
Before watching the video
Read pages 124 -195.
Make notes about the aspects of the text that you think readers in your class would find chalenging in this text.