Teaching Through Text – Year 2
Delivered by Jo Castro
In this webinar, we focus on planning to deliver the English curriculum through selected quality texts.
Starting with an overview of the characteristics of a good reader in year 2, we then outline the criteria for text selection.
We will be using Budgie one of the new texts for the Autumn Term from our Take One Book resource to illustrate the potential for teaching with this text. You do not need to be using Take One Book to benefit from the principles and practices shared in this session.
After this, we outline a progression through a sequence of work that moves from first encounters with a text to deeper reading.
The sequence orchestrates the range of skills and experiences that readers need to progress their reading at this stage, including comprehension skills, opportunities to develop fluent and sustained reading, language skills and the development of response. The aim is to develop deeper, reflective, analytical and responsive reading rather than practising skills for their own sake.
- English Leads
- Class teachers in year 2
Particpants will be able to:
- know how to select quality texts for teaching
- analyse the potential of a text for teaching in year 2
- plan a sequence of work from first encounters through to deeper reading
- use some new strategies for developing children’s reading in year 2
Areas of focus
Planning and teaching through text including the orchestration of:
- Refinement of reading response
- Comprehension skills
- Teaching language in context
- Vocabulary development
- Fluency approaches
Participants will receive:
- A copy of the focus book used in this session which will be sent in advance
- A full scheme of work for the focus text used in the webinar
- PDF of the Presentation
- A list of texts suitable for teaching English for year 2
1:06:30 with Jo Castro